Welcome!

The Griffin overseer group for Hawken's senior project 2010 will be blogging about their experiences on project. From NASA to New York fashion, from cooking to conducting, we'll hear about what these thirteen talented Hawken seniors are up to.

Friday, May 14, 2010

At the Courthouse

Hello all, hope everyone is enjoying their senior projects. I am spending my time at the Cleveland Justice Center and shadowing various cases tried by Common Pleas Judges of Cuyahoga County. My sponsor has gotten me into chambers to see various negotiations in civil cases, and I have been in sentencing hearings for different rape and murder cases. (You might see me on the news tonight in the background for a hearing I was watching) Overall, I have learned a lot about how the judicial system works and the importance of a competent lawyer has on a case. I have seen how significant the role of a jury is as the court system wouldn't function without a jury. A sample of some cases I have followed in depth: Aggravated arson that burned down an apartment building which killed four children, a double homicide on two elderly women by their handyman, and various civil lawsuits that take place in the court. I have seen a lot of gruesome things in the courtroom such as various pictures and videos, and read transcripts and records that are really sad, and at times this can be a little depressing. However, I am learning a lot about the inner workings of the court, how it functions, and am enjoying time off from classes and seeing something that captivates me on a daily basis.
Hope you all are well,
Sam

1 comment:

  1. Mintzer, if I'm ever in trouble with the law you better help me out.

    ReplyDelete