Welcome!

The Griffin overseer group for Hawken's senior project 2010 will be blogging about their experiences on project. From NASA to New York fashion, from cooking to conducting, we'll hear about what these thirteen talented Hawken seniors are up to.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Parflex Division

First: Sorry this is late.
I am working at the Parflex Division of the large engineering company "Parker Hannifin." I was contacted by Jane Heim about a few months before this started. She told me that I would be working on an air tube harness #3866503 for an Oshkosh truck. That pretty much scared me from day one. I had no idea what an air tube harness was. Couldn't even guess what the numbers stood for, and I thought the "Oshkosh" was just a typo for some other word I probably wouldn't know. I didn't really bother to worry about it until I got here. Turns out an air tube harness is a bunch of long tubes attached together that are used for trucks and other vehicles. This specific harness, labeled #3899503 (or just 503 for short), is for an Oshkosh truck, a truck that is of military use. My goal was simple: learn how to make this harness and create a detailed PowerPoint that will allow any untrained worker to create this harness from scratch. When I first visited Parflex in April, the task didn't seem that hard. I watched the factory workers work on these long rubber tubes. They taped them together, wrapped them around, and placed them in a specific order. All in all, each harness takes about 45 minutes to make. Since I was new at it, I would think I would take no more than an hour. I can learn the basics of it, type up a PowerPoint, and be ready in less than a week. This seemed to be simple. Well of course it wasn't simple. Making the harness was extremely difficult. You have to follow this confusing print out that is laid in front of you and taping all of them together with the tape couldn't be more difficult. I finally was able to finish my first harness today and it took me a good two hours. I'm almost done with my PowerPoint but I know that will need much revising. The work can be fun sometimes. Other times it can get tedious and very boring. But the workers are really nice and aren't afraid to help me. All in all, this senior project is enjoyable at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment