Welcome!

The Griffin overseer group for Hawken's senior project 2010 will be blogging about their experiences on project. From NASA to New York fashion, from cooking to conducting, we'll hear about what these thirteen talented Hawken seniors are up to.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Ruffing!

Like Evan, i'm also doing my senior project at Ruffing Montessori school. I split my time teaching in the middle school and helping out in the admissions/alumni office. I also end up doing odd jobs for the faculty and staff so I usually have a fair amount of work.

I teach two Novel/Writing classes in the middle school to about 30ish kids. The class meets every Monday for an hour and it's divided into two sections, both which are mixed 7th and 8th grade (in true Montessori style). Currently we're reading and discussing the book "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn, a philosophical discussion on various social and environmental issues. I taught it for the first time this last Monday when we started the book and we did an in class creative writing on creation myths. Both classes are very smart and most of the kids wanted to share what they wrote. I was surprised because I remember not very many people wanting to share when I was in middle school. It's also surprising that people accept me in an authority position, I'm very much used to being a student. What I find most gratifying about the teaching so far is the fact that I learn a lot from having to explain philosophical and environmental ideas to other students.

In the Admissions office I mostly end up doing paperwork and corresponding with incoming parents about missing forms and the various obligations they have before their child can start attending ruffing. It's not the most cutting edge work but I find it a good balancing agent to the very verbal and social aspect of teaching. I also enjoy talking to prospective parents (for 2010-2011/2011/2012) because I really enjoyed going to Ruffing. I always have something to say, and I know my way around the campus and the Montessori school system to a good enough degree that I can help any confused parents.

All in all a very fun senior project so far.

1 comment:

  1. Believe me, it's still amazing to ME how much I learn from having to explain concepts that I kind of think I understand to other people. It tends to highlight the gaps in your own understanding of the concept.

    Hope the creation myths conversation went well! Ah, humanities...

    ReplyDelete